Enter the present….
We just hauled One World out of the water for the first time in four years and got a good hard look at her underbelly. WOW… we have a lot of work ahead of us this time around. During One World’s last haul out in Florida 2013 we had a crew of six friends to help get her back in ship shape. This time it’s just the two of us, and when I say just the two of us, literally, we are the only people here in the yard. Our neighbors are two yard guard dogs… Chocolate, the old goofy pit bull, Coco, a pure bred Panamanian mutt, and last but certainly not the least are one billion no-see-ums. Every day between 3:30pm and 8:30am it feels like we are living in the TV show “The Walking Dead”, complete with our barbwire barrier fence and post-apocalyptic isolation. Instead of human zombies we have microscopic flying zombies, the no-see-ums, blood thirsty and barely visable they will do anything in their power to take a bite of us.
As with any good zombie apocalypse you must set up a proper defense and get all your weapons in working order. First we double screened the cabin we’re sharing. Next came the amor. We dug out all our long sleeved shirts and pants to protect ourselves from their nasty sharp little teeth. Then we fired up the force field for use when we’re not hiding behind our screened in sanctuary – The Thermacell – the best bug defense invention of the 21st century.
Now to make our work space. Shade was number one on our list. We have a ground level work space on concrete so it is necessary to stay out of the harsh tropical sun. Since we are short on large tarps but wealthy in extra sails we suspended one of our spare sails between the boat and the barrier fence. It almost looks professional.
After camp was set up it was time to assess the hull and the mountain of work we will need to tackle in the upcoming months. Over the past few years we have noticed that the boat has begun to warp, we decided to measure the overall length of the deck and see how much it has changed. To our surprise the boat has shrunk 11 inches! One of our theories is that the rigging was too tight so we released all the rigging to try and let the hull settle. We will see how that goes over time. We did a thorough inspection of the hull for holes and spots where electrolysis was concentrated and causing the paint to bubble. On the first pass we found five holes or soon to be holes, two of which are frighteningly large!
Luckily, because our boat has a steel hull we just need a bit of welding and she will be stronger than ever. The big hole pictured here was most likely caused by a piece of foreign metal that had fallen into the keel and was touching the steel hull.
OK NOW…..LET THE GRINDING BEGIN!!
Anti-fouling paint is nasty poisonous stuff so we suit up with as much protective gear as possible, sadly they don’t make bunny suits for women so we’re stuck looking like children playing dress up in dads clothes.
All the old anti-fouling paint must come off before we can start painting. The yard doesn’t have a sand blaster so we have to do it by hand. After the first hour of grinding we realized just how undersized our tools are and this will be similar to scrubbing the entire 520 square foot bottom clean with a toothbrush. It’s going take at last a week before we are ready to slap on some new paint.
It is the end of our first day and time for a cold beer and some relaxation in our new land based home.
Stay tuned…..subscribe to our blog to see how our yard time progresses and follow the facelift of One World.